The Domesday Book (c. 1086) records the presence of a priest and a church on the site of the present church.
This was replaced by another church erected about the time of Henry VII who reigned between 1485 – 1509. This church was built in sandstone which became badly weathered.
The present church dates largely from the considerable degree of rebuilding by Sir George Gilbert Scott in 1847–49. Much of the existing fabric was replaced and the remaining fabric was encased in new stone. The east end of the church was extended by some 40 feet (12 m) and the tower was rebuilt as a copy of the former tower. The builders were Cooper and Son of Derby. The stone, which came from quarries in the Mow Cop area, was given by Sir Philip Grey Egerton M.P. Part of the west end had to be repaired in 1894–95 following a fire.
In 1930 Austin and Paley added a choir vestry, and a north porch, at a cost of £1,331. The parish registers date from 1562 and are complete. The churchwardens' accounts prior to 1888 are lost.
In 1974, John Minshull wrote a guide to the history of the church, where he notes there is evidence of a stone church in Sandbach since 1200. The 32-page booklet can be found below.
See also: St Mary's Church, Sandbach on Wikipedia